Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Pangolin spotted in Bukit Panjang

From pangolin arti...

Found this in today's Straits Times. Just wanted to highlight the reaction of the residents. This pangolin had "attracted a small crowd trying to take a closer look or snapping pictures with their mobile phones."

I sincerely believe that many Singaporeans lack exposure to nature and that many are interested to find out more but either lack the means or the time to do so. I consistently realise this with conversations with my friends. Venetia whom I just met is interested to visit Chek Jawa to walk on the mud flats but after realizing she has to find a group and pay for it, she hesitated.

So this must be a plus point for biological conservation. Not indifference, but interest.

According to my natural heritage textbook, it's actually quite a rare occurence to see this beauty as they are shy nocturnal animals that sleep in underground burrows during the day. These manmmals wear an armour of large, overlapping scales, which are made of fused hair. They roll themselves into a ball projecting their scales outward in an intimidating pose when they are threatened to protect their soft, naked, underparts within. They are versatile and are found in primary and secondary forests and I guess in our case, even in urban areas! :)

2 comments:

aki-chan said...

Wow, lucky people to have seen the pangolin! I would've loved to see it too! And i'm sure u would too. Thus u see, it's not entirely people who lack exposure to nature who would be interested to take pictures etc.. Nature enthusiasts can also easily spend an hour to get a good photograph of something they see and like! My 2-cents' worth :p

the worm said...

Hey Yujie! That is very very true. I would be very interested as a biology student myself!