Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Social Science VS Hard Science

I sometimes find it amazing, the wild gulf between me as a student and others, the Scientists.

While I worry about not getting enough rest and not being sharp enough, not practising enough, not knowing enough; the Scientists asks the critical questions...

Do you have the social scientists' perspective on this?

Did you know this survey applied to another group of people would have quite different results?

Are your questions about to test for what you want to test?

Are your questions set in the right way to test for that?

Did you consider this and that? Did you group the income groups arbitrary? You know how social scientist do it?

These type of questions are not what I worried myself with, though I should be. I feel enlightened. Many things Prof. Ng questioned me about, I was not even aware were issues, and many things he pointed out, gave me new perspective and depth as to what I should be thinking about.

And Mr Chua, the herbarium keeper, just reminded me how lucky I was to have him as an examiner, as he's an extremely busy man.

I am happy to put a short closure to this and take a break for now.

But Prof. Ng asked me to seriously consider whether I want to do something like this for my Honours project... Which would be the question I will need to discuss with the rest and answer.

I have been very humbled by this UROPS experience. It has open my eyes to many things and reminds me constantly, how little I know, and the shallowness to which I know, and nudges me to keep learning, not to compare and feel inferior, but to keep learning.

No comments: