Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Statistics is a powerful tool!

We have been using the evaluation version of SPSS 16.0 EV to analyse data. We used things like Reliability Analysis, Principal Component Analysis and Generalized Linear Models (GLZ).

I was just talking to Kok Sheng over a meal yesterday that we should have more training in statistical analysis. Nobody teaches us how to but many expect us to know.

We did have formal training in Statistics. We did two statistics models as a Life Sciences student. But never had I imagined, I would actually be doing it hands on later on in my life.

If I could do it again, I would have paid more attention during Statistics lessons, asked more questions, consulted lecturers more, take time to understand and to think and to apply and learn the heart of doing statistics. I would have ask Prof. Kwong and Prof. Chang, what is it about statistics that they made their your career, that you have so much passion and energy for it? Unlike many students who so struggle with it. That would be the heart of statistics.

Prof. Chua Tin Chiu said, "Concentrate on getting the process right, the results are secondary."

No comments: