Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Why no ferrets in Singapore?

I used to play this online game where we own ferrets and race them in competitions. And the cuteness of these animals made me want to have one, which back then, I oftened wondered, how come we don't have them here in Singapore?

I finally figured out why, 10 years later.

Prof. Peter Ng mentioned in class that many people come to the departement requesting to bring in non-native species into the country for various reasons, as pets etc. But being conservationists, they have a duty to protect the existing biodiversity in Singapore and do not want these creatures to become ecological disasters here like many other alien species already have.

So, here you have it, that's why we don't have pirannas or poison dart frogs or ferrets! ;)

2 comments:

SD said...

BUT we still have red-eared sliders, gar-fish and arapaimas!

the worm said...

=) Ah, I think furry creatures are normally more cute right? But I did reared red-eared sliders when I was a child. :(